Monday, March 10, 2014

.

I don't claim to think any particularly original thoughts, but I do claim your unfailing interest in hearing all of my second-hand thoughts. I have been cogitating a great deal, but not succinctly enough to write them all down for you. Maybe someday soon they will be ripened sufficiently.

I hope someone cleverer than I has done some figuring out about eye contact and catching people's eyes and all that. There is something definitely prescient or whatever the proper word is about it. It's such a split second job, catching a stranger's eye, because you look away right away. But how do you both look at the same moment with such magnetism? Most of the time, at least for me, it isn't two scanning beams of radar crossing. It's both looking up from your coffee and book across a room at the very same second and immediately glancing far away because, heavens, one doesn't stare at strangers in polite company. Or again, that sense that someone is looking at you, and then you look up and they are. How can you feel it? I think you really do have eyes all over your body, observing and absorbing and aware, and only a little bit of it gets through to your conscious mind.

I saw three deer, a sun dog, and a cloud of birds today. They all seemed glad to grace my day.

Occasionally I will think I ought to write less about the weather, because it's socially agreed upon as something dull. But honestly, it isn't. It's brilliant and fascinating and makes up so much of my life and my thoughts that I jolly well am going to write to you about every drop of rain trembling on the fern fronds when I take walks in the woods this summer and you're going to hear all about the extra sunny sun and the very blue sky. Just like I used to think how nice it would be if there were more movies and books without any girls or without any boys. Nonsense. They aren't refreshing: they are decidedly dull and unclever. Quite parallel to the weather. Without it I should certainly be dull.

Wishing you the reverse of dull, and very much Weather indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment